Friday, February 6, 2009

What sets Christian ethics apart from any other ethical system?

Every ethical system discourages persons from doing to others what would not be desirable to have others do to them. Only Christianity can call us to actually do good unto others because what Christians do is done not merely under their own power but in the power of the resurrected Christ.

God participates with us so that we CAN do what He has called us to do. Christian Ethics is no mere system of "Do this, don't do that." It is the call of the Gospel proclaiming that, because of what Christ did, we can do that which pleases God. He came in the likeness of man so that we can become transformed into the likeness of God.

Things I do are evidence that I am willing to be someone who does those things. If I am not willing to be a robber, than I must not rob. If I am not a robber, robbing must have no part in anything I do. If I am a Christian, I do what Christ calls Christians to do - Love God with all my heart, mind, soul and strength, love others as myself, love as God in Christ Jesus loved me. If I do not love like this, I cannot call myself a Christian until I confess and repent of such contrary behavior.

It is impossible, however, to do this completely on my own and that is why I must rely on the grace of God to completely do it for me. Having had this already done for me in Christ, I can call on God to empower me to go on and do whatever is consistent with the Christian gospel. I am powerless otherwise; do what I may, I cannot be strong enough to overcome my sinful weakness, and thus cannot BE more than a sinner without the Spirit of Christ DOING through me what God requires me to DO.

No comments: