Friday, April 24, 2009

DON'T BE UNBELIEVING. BELIEVE.

In class I read from THE MESSAGE, Eugene H. Peterson's translation of the Bible in contemporary language.  In explaining why he had undertaken this task, Peterson, a long-time pastor and teacher, said, "I had taken on as my life work the responsibility of getting these very people [in the congregation] to listen, really listen to the message in this book."  The passage I read came from the Gospel of John, beginning at 5:19 through the end of chapter 6, then 20:18 through the end of that chapter.

See http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/?action=getVersionInfo&vid=65 for Peterson's full answer and also for links to the actual passage in THE MESSAGE.

The following is the last part of what I read in chapter 20: 

 

 24-25But Thomas, sometimes called the Twin, one of the Twelve, was not with them when Jesus came. The other disciples told him, "We saw the Master."

   But he said, "Unless I see the nail holes in his hands, put my finger in the nail holes, and stick my hand in his side, I won't believe it."

 26Eight days later, his disciples were again in the room. This time Thomas was with them. Jesus came through the locked doors, stood among them, and said, "Peace to you."

 27Then he focused his attention on Thomas. "Take your finger and examine my hands. Take your hand and stick it in my side. Don't be unbelieving. Believe."

 28Thomas said, "My Master! My God!"

 29Jesus said, "So, you believe because you've seen with your own eyes. Even better blessings are in store for those who believe without seeing."

 30-31Jesus provided far more God-revealing signs than are written down in this book. These are written down so you will believe that Jesus is the Messiah, the Son of God, and in the act of believing, have real and eternal life in the way he personally revealed it.

1 comment:

Symmimex said...

A student responded to this post as follows:
"A lot of the scripture makes a lot of sense to me, but I still cannot get my head around there being a God, or higher power."

This was my reply:
Think of God as the Ultimate Other than yourself. Turning one's attention away from oneself toward another is hard if one trusts no one other than oneself, loves no one other than oneself. Believing in God begins easing us toward being able to turn our attention less on ourselves and more toward others. This is a good way to help one understand why the Greatest Commandment is to love the Lord God with all one's heart, mind, soul, and strength. Doing so let's us love others as ourselves. Failing to do so leaves us with our attention turned only toward ourselves rather than others.

To get your "head around there being a God" may seem hard now, but faith can start very small. I believe that God will be gracious to woo you toward Himself as you meditate on the scriptures that you find make "a lot of sense." Keep reading Scripture and developing relationships with others who read Scripture as well. Consider together what you are reading with the expectation that God's Spirit will lead you to true understanding. Such community as may grow out of this can be even better in the context of some greater Christian community as can be found in a healthy church congregation.